Totnes, the consequences of storms and floods can be devastating. But what we have also seen are the benefits of making a place resilient and working with the community to do this. A truly successful scheme is not measured purely on the delivery of scope
– it is delivering the scope with the maximum social, environmental and economic value. We believe that at Totnes, we achieved this:
- We protected 412 properties from flood risk.
- We took the time to understand what was important to stakeholders, work with them to ensure that we got our designs right and worked sympathetically alongside residents and businesses when on site. As a result we gained overwhelmingly positive feedback from stakeholders.
- We saved +£400k in capital cost though innovative design which is sympathetic to the historic built environment.
- We enhanced the environment by working with partners, creating a community garden supporting well-being.
- In partnership with the Dartington Trust, we developed a 7-hectare wetland upstream of Totnes providing further community and ecological benefits.
- Through use of carbon management tools we identified opportunities to significantly reduce the quantity of carbon generated through the project life cycle.