ISG was appointed by Manchester City Council (MCC) through the North West Construction Hub (NWCH) to deliver a £25million programme of primary schools in November 2016. The modular, new build and refurbishment programme sees ISG deliver projects across 10 existing schools to meet demand for additional form entry. St Margaret’s was required to be completed by September 2017 along with another school as part of phase one, with the remaining eight being handed over by September 2018.
Due to the tight timescales we knew we had to maximise efficiencies, and by utilising digital construction techniques and offsite manufacturing, we achieved:
- Planning submission within five weeks of appointment (from a standing start)
- Early engagement of the offsite manufacturer, Premier Modular, on day one of being appointed
- Completion of the project within budget and programme (18 weeks)
- RIBA Stage 3-6 completed in under nine months
- Modules were erected on site within five days, minimising disruption in a live school environment
- Handed over the first BIM Level 2 fully integrated Asset Information Model for MCC
“We identified this project to be our first pilot for delivering BIM Level 2, including the delivery of our first Asset Information Model,” commented Alistair Burns, design manager at MCC.
The project also saw the implementation of ISG’s innovative and bespoke Data Capture Process (DCP). DCP automates the efficient collection and input of COBie data from our supply chain into the Asset Information Model.