Certifying ahead of the competition:
- ICL was certified with BIM Level 2 by BRE in May 2015 – the first UK contractor, and we deliberately selected a design team for the project with matching ambitions in the opportunities presented with the new technology. BDP for example was the first company to be assessed and certificated under BRE Global’s BIM level 2 Business Systems Certification Scheme.
- As we have fully embraced BIM and digital construction as a business, we wanted to find a way to of bringing digital construction ‘to the masses’. BIM in particular is only ever seen by key stakeholders, or members of the design team. We wanted to engage and inspire the students at the school and providing them with the budget VR viewers we are confident we have succeeded with this initiative.
- Everyone loves a fly-through. However, holding a presentation with a room full of people all looking at one screen can only be so effective. Typically individual VR viewers are more effective, but can be relatively limited in effectiveness due to their cost and availability.
- Having already worked with Caldicot School, the opportunity presented by Monmouth Comprehensive was to hone and develop the process to maximise the benefit for the project, learning lessons from what had been done previously.
- The pupils of the school were a little disinterested at the beginning of the process but since the introduction of our budget VR viewers, they have become well and truly engaged and inspired.
One of the pupils was quoted – “Construction is so much more exciting than I thought it was!”