The Mid Group was established in 2015 to be the most sustainable contractor in the UK, with offsite construction the enabler.
We adopt an approach of Manufacturing Led Construction. We collaborate with a range of manufacturers and use their manufactured components and assemble them on-site. Our role is that of Integrator.
We have engineered solutions to a wide range of project types, utilising a broad range of manufactured components. These deliver projects in a predictable and efficient manner.
We have 16 components to deliver 90% of a school. The components are held in a BIM library, which designers use when developing a school design. This makes the design process more efficient for all, as there are no surprises once a design is developed, requiring re-design.
Working with manufacturers we have developed components that are incredibly efficient, in that they:
- Undertake more than one job; we want all components to deliver more than one role, to reduce the overall number of components in a building, such as acoustic lighting rafts, which incorporate all sensors, capturing 4 typically separate components in one.
- Are highly energy efficient; if you use right-sized components they will run more efficiently.
- Can be installed quickly; with the installation process considered in the design and manufacture of the component.
- Become better; learning from one scheme is fed back to suppliers, with improvements in performance demanded for the next scheme.
The use of standard components, repetitively, across a wide range of projects means that we achieve much greater certainty on our projects when compared to traditional approaches. This improvement in certainty captures:
- Cost predictability; we know the cost of components at the start of the design process and how long it takes to install.
- Programme certainty; each component has a known installation time and components are selected on their ability to be installed quickly.
One of the outcomes of our approach is a leap forward in productivity when compared to other contractors. Our turnover per head is in excess of £1m, more than 250% more than most other main contractors.
With improved productivity and greater certainty, we can create a more sustainable environment for our staff and suppliers. There is less stress and no need to work ridiculous hours as staff are not seeking to deliver unrealistic budgets or programmes. Our staff engagement is exceptional, with suppliers and staff driving continuous improvement across our business as they see the benefits. We have even created an entirely flexible holiday allowance, with staff having no fixed holidays.
The tangible outcomes for our clients are exceptional. We have recently delivered the Robert Clack Lymington Fields School 7 months early. This is Europe’s largest school, with over 4,000 pupils. The School was also delivered for £36m, significantly under the £47-49m tenders received from the market.
The Greatfields School was delivered with less than 1 tonne of waste to landfill and achieved an EPC Score of 10, whilst fully air conditioned to future proof it against climate change.
- The adoption of Manufacturing Led Construction has enabled the Mid Group to grow from a standing start to £100m turnover in just 5 years.
- The use of Manufacturing Led Construction has resulted in the Mid Group winning c.80% of projects tendered, demonstrating the viability of offsite construction.
- The use of Manufacturing Led Construction has allowed the delivery of Europe’s largest School, with an EPC Score of just 10, in only 16 months, 7 months ahead of schedule.