M.B Roche and Sons Ltd is a family owned civil engineering business, established in 1977. The company has developed a very strong ethos of being a responsible business, as an integral part of the region. Our 2020 Business Plan is to be the minor civils contractor of choice in Hull & the Humber. Moreover, the values of our organisation are we are ‘People Focused’ by:
- developing local people,
- employing and training them,
- focusing on reducing the skills gap in construction.
In the Covid-19 Pandemic, and resulting economic downturn and further unemployment, especially from young people this is now more important than ever.
The company maintains a close connection to its local economic region and is one of our key business objectives.
All management and operatives live within Hull & East Yorkshire and are directly employed.
We are passionate that this is the best place to live, and despite the poverty in Hull (and hidden poverty in the East Riding), we want to see that this region thrives economically, through the civil engineering projects that we do, as well as grow the talent in the people that we employ.
Therefore, whilst ensuring that the services we provide are highly competitive, and meeting our ambitious business plan, we wish to ensure that the quality of the service is excellent.
To do so we believe that the company is only as good as the people it employs and the best in the market, but are also truly representative of the locality that we work within.
That is why we truly wish to reach out and employ the best people in our region, whatever their background. In this sense, social value is good business sense. This has been proven to us, through the amazing work of our employees.
M.B Roche wishes to be a trailblazer organisation in the entire built environment sector demonstrating how it can reach out to low income communities in our locality and nurture the future talent by demonstrating what a fantastic and varied career option the construction sector has to offer.
We believe that our emphasis on social value is important as it has demonstrated that we are able to win work from like-minded clients such as public sector bodies, as well as socially minded investors. Therefore it is good business to us.
M.B Roche believe that the good practice that this company has demonstrated can be shared within the sector through
- We walk our talk. We pay the Living Wage. Yet only 26% of jobs Humber region are paid at this rate
- We retain our workforce. This is achieved through a package of measures to support our PAYE employees, through pay, training, staff benefits, communication to employees, success in a growing business. Our average length of service is 11 years (excluding Apprentices).
- Being Awarded the Social Mobility Pledge, an awarded promoted by Rt Hon Justine Greening (former Education Minister).
- 59% of our on-site civil engineering operatives are currently on either an NVQ Level 2 Groundworks or an NVQ Level 3 Supervision Qualification Apprenticeship.
- We gained the Silver Award of the Armed Forces Covenant Employers Recognition Scheme which highlights and promotes us as a veteran friendly employer
- We were Highly Commended at the Inspiring Change Award for our work on diversity and helping Woman, veterans and long-term unemployed from disadvantaged backgrounds into construction.