The UK is one of a number of European countries participating in the European Construction Technology Platform (ECTP), the purpose of which is to address the research needs of European construction over next 25 years.
The ECTP’s European Strategic Research Agenda entitled Challenging and Changing Europe’s Built Environment and published in 2005 sets out the likely directions of technological and organisational changes that will then need to be converted into specific research programmes over the coming years.
Contained within the ECTP are three programmes:
• Active Ageing and the Built Enviornment (AABE) – defining a Strategic Research Agenda (SRA) for the construction sector about innovation processes for the design of integrated and ICT-driven age-friendly environments. Ageing demographics is one of the EU’s grand societal challenges.
• Energy Efficient Building European Initiative (E2B EI) – a €2bn research and demonstration programme to help deliver energy-efficient buildings that meet the EU’s 20/20 vision of a 20% reduction in energy consumption and emissions and a 20% increase in renewable energy by 2020.
• reFINE – Research for Future Infrastructure Networks in Europe (reFINE) is a networking forum dedicated to understanding solutions to future infrastructure challenges and developing R&D programmes.
The National Platform has taken the European Strategic Research Agenda as one starting point for defining the UK’s research priorities and by doing so seeks to influence and participate in Europe’s research agenda.
Find out more about ECTP and the European Strategic Research Agenda at www.ectp.org.
Other National Technology Platforms include:
- Austrian Construction Technology Platform
- Belgium, BBRI and BBRC
- Denmark, InnoBYG
- Finland, RYM
- France, CSTB
- German Construction Technology Platform
- Greece, National Technical University of Athens
- Italy, Piattaforma Tecnologica Italiana delle Costruzioni
- Lithuanian Construction Technology Platform
- Norway SINTEF Building & Infrastructure
- Polish Construction Technology Platform
- Portugal, Plataforma Tecnológica Portuguesa de Construção
- Slovenia, Construction Cluster of Slovenia
- Spain Plataforma Tecnologica Espanola de Construccion
- Swedish Center for Innovation and Quality in the Built Environment
- The Netherlands, BAM
Horizon 2020 Related Activities
- Energy Efficient Buildings PPP
- The European Innovation Partnership on Smart Cities and Communities
- EEB PPP Project Review – Published December 2013