We are really pleased to support the Transforming Construction Network Plus. N+ is an academic network bringing together experts from a range of disciplines.
This digest aims to clarify the ongoing conversation around platform thinking in construction, and organise how we consider the benefits of adopting a platform strategy. It begins by exploring the main categories of ‘platforms’ that are adopted by businesses. It describes how platforms are categorised in management research, synthesising insights from several key authors and considering how each concept is, and can be, applied to construction.
The N+ also announced its latest round of small projects. Drawing on these first small projects, the N+ is providing over £500,000 to support nine new research projects to stimulate innovation in the construction industry. Spanning digital, energy, construction and manufacturing, the research projects bring together ten universities, eight industry partners, one charity and two government organisations.
- A Toolkit for Collaborative Construction: A Values-Centred Approach to AR and MMC for Housing
- Design Optimisation and Prototyping for Affordable Rural Housing
- Developing a Tool Kit for Knowledge Integration: Envisioning Buildings as Energy service
- DigiConCo-Op: Transforming Micro-Project Delivery through Digital Co-Operative Construction
- Digital-Twins in Construction: Towards an ontological Model Development and Integration Framework
- Digitisation: opportunity or threat for Occupational Health and Safety and Wellbeing in Construction Industry
- Transitioning to an automated construction supply chain: future business model innovation for SMEs
- Utilising Innovative Methods of Data Capture for Regulatory Compliance Checking
The N+ is funded by UK Research and Innovation, an investment supported by the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund. The N+ is a joint project between The Bartlett, UCL Faculty of the Built Environment, Imperial College London and WMG, University of Warwick.