- This event has passed.
CE Annual Conference – 20 Years of Rethinking Construction
12 December, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm GMT
This year’s Constructing Excellence Annual Conference marks 20 years since the release of Sir John Egan’s Rethinking Construction. This report combined with Sir Michael Latham’s Constructing the Team provided the foundations for the Constructing Excellence Movement, aiming to deliver Excellence through Collaboration.
In 1998 we were industry characterised by low margins, poor investment in capital and R&D and a skills shortage due to our inability to attract the best talent. Moreover, procurement was led by price, not value, projects were unpredictable on time, cost and quality and much of the sector was extremely fragmented.
So how much has changed? On the surface that characterisation of the industry remains valid. However, the Constructing Excellence movement is leading the way, demonstrating tangible the tangible benefits of working collaboratively. This year’s conference will take an in-depth look at how the core Constructing Excellence values of clients procuring for value, standardisation and pre-manufactured value and digitally-enabled collaboration can be applied at a broader level across the industry.
The Construction Sector Deal is seeing unprecedented government investment and support for change in the sector and is in complete alignment with our vision. Join us on 12 December to find out how we can build on 20 years of industry leadership and maximise this unique opportunity for change.
09:15 Registration and Networking
10:00 Introduction & Overview of Constructing Excellence in 2018
10:15 Clients Procuring for Value
- The need to change – Phil Wilbraham, Co-Chair Constructing Excellence
- Dudley College – Integrated Project Insurance – Steve Johnson, Executive Director of Estates and Capital Projects, Dudley College
- Enhancing construction delivery in Qatar with Constructing Excellence – Eng Ahmad Al Ansari, Head of the Technical Office, Ashghal (Public Works Authority), Qatar, and Chair of Constructing Excellence in Qatar
11:20 Coffee and Networking
11:50 Standardisation & Pre-Manufactured Value
- The need to change – Mark Farmer, Co-Chair Constructing Excellence
- Alan Clucas, Director, Explore Manufacturing – Laing O’Rourke
- Rosie Toogood, CEO, Legal & General Modular Homes
13:00 Lunch and Networking
14:00 Digitally Enabled
- The need to change – David Whysall, Co-Chair Constructing Excellence
- Paul Clarke, Chief Technology Officer, Ocado
- Deirdre Fox, Director Strategic Business Development, Tata Steel
15:15 Coffee and Networking
15:35 Transforming Construction Alliance – Keith Waller, Senior Adviser, Infrastructure and Projects Authority
15:50 Better perceptions, better talent, better performance – A new direction for G4C, Robin Lapish and Caroline Key
16:05 Panel discussion How will we achieve our vision in 2019?
- Simon Lawrence, Programme Director for Major Infrastructure Tracking, Infrastructure and Projects Authority
- Marcus Harling, Partner, Burges Salmon
- Ann Bentley, Global Board Director, Rider Levett Bucknall
16:50 Summary and next steps