Businesses are invited to bid in 2 competitions worth up to £36 million, funding collaborative R&D and demonstrator projects as part of the Transforming Construction Challenge. The competitions will open on 28 August and close on 30 October.
Competition 1: Transforming UK construction – Collaborative R&D
Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation, will invest up to £10 million in UK businesses undertaking collaborative research and development projects. Projects should go beyond the state-of-the-art in improving productivity, quality and performance of the UK construction sector.
The project must focus on one or more of the following themes:
- digital information management, tools, systems and standards
- modern methods of construction and platform-based approaches
- whole-life asset performance, including active buildings
- business models, procurement, analytics, benchmarking and metrics
- financial, assurance, warranty and lending products
Competition 2: Transforming UK construction demonstrator projects
UK businesses can apply for a share of up to £26 million for practical, demonstrator projects in modern methods of construction, digital and whole-life asset performance.
This competition aims to invest in approximately 10 world-leading practical demonstrators. They must establish improvements in productivity, quality and performance of the UK construction sector.
Demonstrators are the application of approaches, deployed at scale, that aim to improve all aspects of a built assets lifecycle.
These will include:
- validations of new business models
- digital approaches to design, construction and management
- advancements in modern methods of construction
- approaches to whole-life performance of a building or assets